People start blogging for a lot of different reason; to tell stories, they enjoy writing, they want an online presence, and for a variety of other reasons. I started blogging my freshman year of college, so 3 years ago, and I am challenging you to at least consider starting a blog. I know, I know, you don’t have time and you don’t like writing, and whatever other excuse you can come up with, but while you are reading my blog you could be writing your own story. You like reading other peoples blogs, so there is no reason why someone out there in the world wouldn’t enjoy reading your blog and what you have to say about various topics.
- You Have a Story: You have story that is unique to you and if you don’t share it nobody will. Share a part of your life with your friends, family, and even strangers.
- Online Presence: If you are in college, planning to get a job or looking for a job you need to be able to show professionals that you can write and write decently, that you have something to say that is worth listening to. Having a blog also gives you something else to add to your resume. I would imagine that when applying for a job and you said “Attached is the link to my blog” the person interviewing you would be rather impressed.
- Writing is Freeing: This sense of freedom comes when you’re able to articulate what you are thinking or feeling onto paper in a way that others get a glimpse into your life. What better way to begin to let people know you than for them to be able to read what you’ve written.
- Blogging improves your Writing: There is no better to improve your writing than to write. Your writing will never improve if you never practice writing. When basketball players aren’t making their free throws you know what they do? Depending on the level, the coach will probably make them run; more importantly is they keep shooting and practicing their free throws!
- You Have Knowledge: Everyone has knowledge, skills, and abilities to do something that not everyone knows how. You like cooking, sewing, photography, woodworking? I bet someone out there is curious to learn how do exactly what you don’t think is really that cool.
- Free Hobby: Most hobbies you pick up cost a fee of sorts to start out, but not blogging. It is 100% free and you can sign up for an account right here at WordPress!
- Produce Content: “Millennials Spend 18 Hours a Day Consuming Media.” It is crazy to think that we are consuming about that much media everyday, yet we may not be producing any content. Granted some of that media is from music and video games, a portion of that is content we read online. This ties back into my first point: everyone has a story they could be creating instead of constantly consuming media created by others.